Monday, April 29, 2013

Review: HOLD MY HAND by Paloma Beck

Cover DesignErin Dameron-Hill Graphics
HOLD MY HAND
by Paloma Beck
Published: April 1, 2013
Editor: Perk It Up Editing
Source: E-book provided by author in exchange for honest review.
*Warning: This book contain adult themes including sexual acts and language that may not be appropriate for all readers.
A book about Aubrey and William. They are navigating through a relationship that may have too many hurdles... or perhaps not, as long as she can hold his hand.

Aubrey has been hurt in the past, discouraged and degraded. Still, William sees something in her that won't allow him to walk away. Instantly drawn to her but intuitive enough to take it slowly, he courts her. Then he bargains, persuades and seduces until Aubrey becomes ensnared by his commanding nature. Despite the fight she puts up in accepting William's lifestyle, the bonds he places on Aubrey give her a freedom she desperately needs. And together, they heal old wounds and find their perfect love.



*****

REVIEW:

The best description I can come up with for this read would be that it's a lighter, shorter version of Fifty Shades of Grey. HOLD MY HAND contains some of the same themes, especially the BDSM nature of the relationship; however, this book is more focused on the female's, Aubrey's, growth. I really like the way the book revolves around what Aubrey needs, feels, and struggles with in her daily life. I really wanted more detail about her past, especially her father. Of course, this could come into play in the sequel. 

The story flowed pretty well, chronicling Aubrey's journey through this exciting and challenging new lifestyle with William. Aubrey's character was quite fascinating to me. I'm not usually a fan of the women who constantly belittle themselves and find worth in a man (I know, I know... why the hell do I read BDSM then. That's for a later time. I have issues. Lol), but Aubrey's insecurities obviously stem from past emotional abuse. Which I find much more complex than prior sexual abuse. I just wish there was more of this element in the story. A little more history given.

That being said, William is a complete freakin' mystery! He reveal very little throughout the book, and what he does reveal just left me want more of his history as well. However, he didn't feel incomplete. It simply added to mystery that is William, and made him more appealing to me as the reader. It helped me relate to Aubrey's feelings toward him.

I only have one complaint, and honestly, many readers probably wouldn't pick up on it, but I'm crazy obsessed with grammar... you can thank my English degree. At times, there were tense shifts within sentences and inaccurate verb usage. Like I said, this is a small thing that most readers probably wouldn't notice. It didn't affect my love of the story at all, it only slowed down my reading, because, like I said, I'm obsessed.

Overall, I was very happy with this story, but I also think there is plenty of room to expand on the details that would just make it that much better. Given a little more depth and insight, for example, showing more of Aubrey's feelings and actions while she is away from William, would make this a great read for me. It would just take the story to the next level. I'm looking forward to more of Aubrey and William's story in book 2, HEAL MY SOUL. If you enjoy erotic romance, give HOLD MY HAND a read. 

*****
BUY HOLD MY HAND

Connect with Paloma Beck

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. :-) paloma

    ReplyDelete